2017 Winter Indoor Triathlon
Information about the 2016 2ndAnnual Delaware Charity Challenge Winter Indoor Triathlon
3rd Annual Delaware Charity Challenge Winter Indoor Triathlon
The Delaware Charity Challenge is a unique fundraising and athletic competition designed to give organizations, families, and individuals a fun and inexpensive way to raise money and awareness for their favorite causes. The Winter Games, which debuted in January 2015, are paired with the Pursuit of Health & Wellness Expo, now one of the largest health fairs in the region. This year, the two events drew more than 650 people to the Chase Center on the Riverfront in Wilmington on Saturday, January 6, 2018. The turnout was impressive when considering it was one of the coldest weekends on record.
Race to Raise
A large part of the Delaware Charity Challenge is the Race to Raise, a fundraising competition that leads up to the athletic event. In the most recent Race to Raise, teams combined to raise more than $16,000 for ten different nonprofits this winter, with two teams raising or winning more than $5,000 each. The winning team in the 2018 Winter Race to Raise was the University of Delaware Men's Crew Team, which raised $5,140 on behalf of its University team at University of Delaware at the conclusion of the fundraising contest at 11 a.m. on Saturday, January 6. Finishing second was the DCRAC, which raised $4,980 on behalf of its organization. Team Mosaic in Delaware raised the third highest amount of $1,190. Team Mosley and Team RIV Athletics team both raised more than $1,000 for Disabled American Veterans and the Green Beret Project, respectively. For finishing in the top three in the Winter Race to Raise, the University of Delaware Men's Crew team won an additional $300 for its club team, Team DCRAC won an additional $200 for DCRAC, and Team Mosaic in Delaware won an additional $100 for Mosaic.
In addition to the $600 in cash prizes awarded by Innovincent as part of the Race to Raise fundraising competition, the University of Delaware Men's Crew team also won an advertising prize from Delaware Today, a Media Sponsor for the event, for being top overall fundraising team.
When the Fundraising Challenge was completed (January 31, 2018), teams collectively had raised $16,780 for their selected nonprofit organizations, including the prize pool and triathlon awards. The top 8 individual fundraising teams were: Team University of Delaware Men's Crew ($5,790), Delaware Community Reinvestment Action Council (DCRAC) ($5,180), Mosaic in Delaware ($1,600), RIV Athletics (raising for Green Beret Project) ($1,360), Team Mosley (raising for DAV) ($1,150), Clark's Sharks (raising for Mike Clark Legacy Foundation) ($775), The Mill Team (raising for Strive: How You Lead Matters) ($400), and Team Amped Up (raising for Faithful Friends Animal Society) ($250).
Winter indoor triathlon & scooter competition
More than 130 athletes signed up to compete in this year's Delaware Charity Challenge winter games. The two category triathlon races were the Medley Triathlon and the Run, Row, Bike Triathlon. Both triathlons consisted of a 45 minute race (15 minutes each on a treadmill, spin bike, and rowing machine). For the Medley Triathlon, teams had members compete in one of the three events. For the Run, Row, Bike Triathlon, team members competed in all three. During the event, teams also had a chance to race each other in a short, fun scooter race.
- University of Delaware Men's Crew won a total of $500 in prize money for its crew program by winning the Run, Row, Bike Men's Team Division and the scooter race at the indoor triathlon, and for winning the Race to Raise fundraising competition.
- RIV Athletics won a total of $300 for the Green Beret Project, including $200 by having team members win the Medley Co-Ed F, F, M and Run, Row, Bike Women's Individual divisions. Another $100 prize was donated to Green Beret Project by Team Cummings, which won the Medley Co-Ed M, M, F division.
- DCRAC won a total of $200 for Delaware Community Reinvestment Action Council for finishing 2nd in the Race to Raise fundraising contest.
- Team Mosaic in Delaware won a total of $200 for winning the Run, Row, Bike Co-Ed M, M, F division and for finishing 3rd in the Race to Raise fundraising competition.
- Team Clark's Sharks won a total of $200 for Mike Clark Legacy Foundation for having team members win the Medley Women's division and the Run, Row, Bike Individual Men's Division.
- Team AMPED Up won $100 for Faithful Friends Animal Society for winning the Run, Row, Bike Women's Team division.
- Team Hughes won the Medley Men's Team division and donated its $100 prize to Latin American Community Center, which had been chosen by Team Thunderstrike.
- Team Ryan's Wives won the Run, Row, Bike Co-Ed F, F, M division and donated its $100 prize to Strive: How You Lead Matters, which had been chosen by the Mill Space Team.
- Many other teams and individuals also competed in these divisions.